Probable downtime

Important game and board announcements and website or forum related topics

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Ricold
Wise Old Dwarf

Probable downtime

#1 Post by Ricold »

Because I am awful at planning this with useful amounts of warning, there is a distinct possibility that I may have to take the forums offline at various points tomorrow and/or Saturday, for important security updates. The forums may show as offline, or may fail to load entirely. The site may come back online briefly while I test features, or while certain items update and don't give me the option to take it down while they work.

Hopefully the work will be limited to a few hours

I'll post again on this topic when I start and when I finish. Any posts made between those two points are liable to vanish without trace.
Ricold, Not site owner any more, largely absent. PM me if you want me. PM Prince of Spires if you need the head Loremaster.
Ricold
Wise Old Dwarf

Re: Probable downtime

#2 Post by Ricold »

Well, that went badly. Nothing has changed, I might well try again tomorrow though
Ricold, Not site owner any more, largely absent. PM me if you want me. PM Prince of Spires if you need the head Loremaster.
Ricold
Wise Old Dwarf

#3 Post by Ricold »

I hate this system!

Upgraded from 3.0.12 to 3.0.14... but can I get the upgrade to 3.1.X to work? No, apparently not.
Tahl

#4 Post by Tahl »

It is appreciated though.
Winner of the 'Best member' award Incumbent
[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b120/wraith-lord/misc/Animebanner.gif?t=1285150718[/img]
John Rainbow

#5 Post by John Rainbow »

Tahl wrote:It is appreciated though.
QFT
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#6 Post by Prince of Spires »

Ricold wrote:I hate this system!

Upgraded from 3.0.12 to 3.0.14... but can I get the upgrade to 3.1.X to work? No, apparently not.
What error are you running into? From what I can tell, the default upgrade path from 3.0.X to 3.1 is to throw everything out (especially any mods and probably themes) and pretty much start from scratch (https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... /upgrade3/)

If it's any comfort, you're not the only one having issues with the upgrade, e.g. https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2281956.

Let me know if you need a hand. I have no experience with PHPBB boards. But I'm very good at breaking IT related stuff and googling for answers ;)

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Ricold
Wise Old Dwarf

#7 Post by Ricold »

Prince of Spires wrote:What error are you running into?
My error is:

Code: Select all

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'Exception' with message 'DateTime::__construct(): Failed to parse time string (@) at position 0 (@): Unexpected character' in /home/ulthuan/public_html/forum2/phpbb/datetime.php:50 Stack trace: #0 /home/ulthuan/public_html/forum2/phpbb/datetime.php(50): DateTime->__construct('@', Object(DateTimeZone)) #1 /home/ulthuan/public_html/forum2/phpbb/user.php(728): phpbb\datetime->__construct(Object(phpbb\user), '@', Object(DateTimeZone)) #2 /home/ulthuan/public_html/forum2/includes/acp/acp_main.php(592): phpbb\user->format_date(NULL) #3 /home/ulthuan/public_html/forum2/includes/functions_module.php(674): acp_main->main('main', 'main') #4 /home/ulthuan/public_html/forum2/adm/index.php(81): p_master->load_active() #5 {main} thrown in /home/ulthuan/public_html/forum2/phpbb/datetime.php on line 50
If you want to see it, access http://www.ulthuan.net/forum2/ and log in, then try accessing the admin panel.

I have other issues with that test site, but if I can get to the admin panel, I can probably fix at least a few of them.

Sorry to anyone else who tries that link. You can log in, but it doesn't do anything else. The board (which is an exact copy of the real one, albeit a few days old now) is rather substantially disabled.

EDIT - Yeah, I've met the phpbb support board guys, I'm picking their brains when I have the energy to do so https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2344801
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#8 Post by Prince of Spires »

You have to love clear and precise error messages 'Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'Exception''... :)

The most given solution (which you probably already found) seems to be to clear the cache which somehow has retained an earlier startdate.

Good luck with finding something more. If you want some help, shoot me a message

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.