The forum skin

Important game and board announcements and website or forum related topics

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Ricold
Wise Old Dwarf

The forum skin

#1 Post by Ricold »

Amongst the stuff we have to deal with on a day to day basis is the absurd number of spam-bots that register around this place. Typically one every 10 minutes or so. No, that's not a joke.

Sadly, the anti-spam bot measures are implemented by the theme, and the custom theme that Nagathi built for us hasn't been updated any more than the forum had (So nothing since 2007-ish?). It doesn't support the latest security measures, and it needs to.

So for the time being, we're back on a default theme. I'll try and rebuild the custom one over the next few weeks, but we're stuck on this one for the time being.

Sorry.
Ricold, Not site owner any more, largely absent. PM me if you want me. PM Prince of Spires if you need the head Loremaster.
Cold Phoenix

Re: The forum skin

#2 Post by Cold Phoenix »

Ricold wrote:Amongst the stuff we have to deal with on a day to day basis is the absurd number of spam-bots that register around this place. Typically one every 10 minutes or so. No, that's not a joke.

Sadly, the anti-spam bot measures are implemented by the theme, and the custom theme that Nagathi built for us hasn't been updated any more than the forum had (So nothing since 2007-ish?). It doesn't support the latest security measures, and it needs to.

So for the time being, we're back on a default theme. I'll try and rebuild the custom one over the next few weeks, but we're stuck on this one for the time being.

Sorry.
That's all fine with me. I've reported enough bots recently that I'll be happy to forgo the theme while you devise appropriate countermeasures. Just out of interest, if whoever designed these bots has improved them to the point where they can get through older security, why don't they improve the content of the bot posts I see? The first few were amusingly bad, but since then I've simply taken to looking at them, thinking words to the effect of "idiot bot designer needs to improve his grasp of English" and then reporting them.
John Rainbow

#3 Post by John Rainbow »

Cold Phoenix wrote:Just out of interest, if whoever designed these bots has improved them to the point where they can get through older security, why don't they improve the content of the bot posts I see? The first few were amusingly bad, but since then I've simply taken to looking at them, thinking words to the effect of "idiot bot designer needs to improve his grasp of English" and then reporting them.
QTF
RedPanda

#4 Post by RedPanda »

How about forcing everyone to post in the introduction forum before you grant access to people to all the other forums?
John Rainbow

#5 Post by John Rainbow »

RedPanda wrote:How about forcing everyone to post in the introduction forum before you grant access to people to all the other forums?
This has potential but one of the mods would have to go and let everyone in... could be a big/time-consuming job.
Ricold
Wise Old Dwarf

#6 Post by Ricold »

Yes and no, I might be able to automate that process
Ricold, Not site owner any more, largely absent. PM me if you want me. PM Prince of Spires if you need the head Loremaster.